Youth Orchestra Audition Requirements & Procedures
In order to participate in the St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra, musicians must:
- Be enrolled in their applicable school music program, if one exists. For example, string players must participate in their school orchestra program, etc.
- Be no younger than 12 and no older than 22 on September 1, 2024.
- Submit an online audition application and non-refundable application fee by March 31, 2024.
- Adhere to the attendance policy and other policies as outlined in the Musician Handbook.
Basic Audition Requirements
Note: Due to the construction at Powell Hall, all auditions this season will be recorded. Students are asked to submit an audio-only recording to maintain the anonymity of a blind audition. Applicants will receive additional instructions and details via email to assist with this process.
- Preliminary auditions consist of scales and a solo of the student’s choice. Please see the Basic Audition Requirements for your instrument listed above for more information.
- Applicants not currently in the Youth Orchestra should be prepared to take a preliminary audition.
- Not all instruments will need to take a preliminary audition. This is determined annually based on the number of applicants on each instrument.
- If it is required, applicants must pass the preliminary audition in order to advance to the final audition.
- Final auditions include the Basic Audition Requirements listed above and a set of orchestral excerpts. Please refer to the documents linked below for a comprehensive list of performance expectations.
- Current Youth Orchestra members, current alternate musicians, and applicants who advanced from the preliminary audition must take a final audition.
- All auditions are judged on intonation, rhythm, sound production and overall musicianship. The Music Director of the SLSYO and members of the SLSO serve as the judges for auditions.
- Recorded final auditions must be received by Monday, June 3, 2024.
SLSO education programs are presented by:
Youth Orchestra programs are presented by:
And supported in part by:
Support the YO
For more than half a century, the Youth Orchestra has provided exceptional musical opportunities to students in our region. Make your gift today and champion music education in our community.